National Horticulture and Livestock Project
The development objective of the National Horticulture and Livestock Project for Afghanistan is to promote adoption of improved production practices by target farmers, with gradual rollout of farmer-centric agricultural services systems and investment support.
The National Horticulture and Livestock Project (NHLP) is a follow-on project to the Horticulture and Livestock Project. The project contributes to the overarching goal of increased productivity and overall production of horticultural products and improved animal production and health. The technical strategy for achieving this objective is based on the delivery of extension and investment support through strengthened systems. The project has three components: ( i ) horticultural production; (ii ) animal production and health; and (iii ) implementation management and technical assistance support. These activities were initially implemented in 120 focus districts in 23 target provinces.
The Project contributes to the Agriculture Production and Market Development Program –the National Priority Program 2 (NPP2).
- 97500 Target farmers exposed to a horticulture production practice and understand it and its benefits
- 6000 Orchards rehabilitated (ha) directly and indirectly, benefiting 30,000 people
- 8000 New Orchards (including vineyards) established with at least 70% survival rate
- 133,000 Target farmers exposed to a practice and understand it and its benefits
- 50% of the target farmers adopting regular livestock inoculation (or VFUs stocking inputs recommended in extension messages)